HarperCollins Speakers Bureau
HARPERCOLLINS SPEAKERS BUREAU
THE PREMIER LECTURE AGENCY FOR AUTHORS

Steve Dublanica

Former Waiter and Best-Selling Author of Waiter Rant

SPEAKING TOPICS

  • Waiter Rant: Inside the World of Fine Dining from a Waiter's Point of View
  • Dining Etiquette for the Concerned Customer
  • How to Avoid Working in a Bad Restaurant! Know the Danger Signs!

TRAVELS FROM

New York

Fearing poverty, Steve Dublanica, a former divinity student and psychiatric health care worker, waited his first table at age 31. In 2004, frustrated with the customers and unable to afford psychotherapy, he started his wildly popular blog, www.WaiterRant.net, winning the 2006 “Best Writing in a Weblog” Bloggie Award. In his New York Times best-selling book, Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip – Confessions of a Cynical Waiter (Ecco), he claims that while 80 percent of customers are nice people just looking for something to eat, the remaining 20 percent are socially maladjusted psychopaths. In Waiter Rant, Dublanica offers the server’s unique point of view, replete with tales of customer stupidity, arrogant behavior, and unseen bits of human grace transpiring in the most unlikely places. Through outrageous stories, he reveals the secrets to getting good service, proper tipping etiquette, and how to keep him from spitting in your food.

Retired from waiting tables because no one will hire him ever again, Dublanica's most recent book, Keep the Change: A Clueless Tipper's Quest to Become the Guru of Gratuity (Ecco), investigates the dynamics of tipping across the service industry, with Dublanica interviewing and at times working alongside the men and women whose livelihoods depend on this cash economy.

Since Waiter Rant was published, Dublanica has been on Oprah, ABC’s Good Morning America and The View, NBC’s Today, and featured in People, the Wall Street Journal, and USA Today. He’s the perfect speaker for food and wine festivals, food service organizations, or as a humorous after dinner speaker. Interviewed regularly by major media as the voice for many of the two million waiters in the United States, Steve, now 40, lives in the New York metropolitan area with his joint custody dog, Buster.

Praise for Keep the Change:

"I'm not sure what the proper etiquette is for tipping authors, but we should all give a nice bonus to Steve Dublanica for writing such a funny and surprising book on this oft-overlooked part of everyday life."
A.J. Jacobs

Praise for Waiter Rant:

“The other shoe finally drops. The front-of-the-house version of Kitchen Confidential; a painfully funny, excruciatingly true-life account of the waiter’s life. As useful as it is entertaining. You will never look at your waiter the same way again – and will never tip less than 20 percent.”
—Anthony Bourdain

“I really enjoyed Waiter Rant. The book is engaging and funny, a story told from my polar opposite perspective. I will now do my best to act better as a chef – and I dare say, I’ll never be rude to a waiter again, as long as I live.”
John DeLucie, chef, The Waverly Inn

“…amusing and informative…Waiter Rant is as delightful as it is irreverent.”

Jonathan Yardley, Washington Post

“In the casual, confessional tone of a seasoned blogger, The Waiter tells of corruption, intrigue, drug abuse, heated romance and of course tips, weaving it all into a humorously detailed memoir… A heartfelt, irreverent look at the underbelly of fine dining.”
—Kirkus Reviews

“The anonymous restaurant professional behind the Bloggie Award-winning WaiterRant.net expands on his postings in his first book. The result is an enjoyable if utterly unromantic personal expose on the inner workings of the New York City-area restaurants that have employed him since 1999… He catalogues the grime-and-gross-out factors (some obscene), so comparisons to Kitchen Confidential are inevitable.”
—Publishers Weekly